MN Early Learning Resource Site

I revised the site discussed in this post with an uncluttered, clean design in order to make the content even easier to find at a glance. It worked.

I revised this site in order to make the content easier to get to quickly and create a cleaner look.

On the old site I had some opportunities on the homepage to add more categories to part of the page that was just empty.

In this particular situation it seemed like it made sense to change the category list on the homepage into squares instead of using a list that left half of the page blank. Don’t get wrong I like open space but here it didn’t seem to be helping.

Website homepage with some empty space highlighted with the words saying "A whole lot of empty space!"
The old resource site had a lot of space to add more categories on the homepage.

I also got rid of the styling that makes the tags change size depending on how many times they’ve been used.

It’s sort of cool to have different sized fonts that correlate to the tag’s popularity but it didn’t actually help the site navigation in this case. So, I made all the font the same size.

The site is still set up like it was before.

It’s set up so that you enter the URL for the resource as a post title and then that URL populates parts of site I need it to dynamically. The homepage shows a list of topics. It’s easy to find what you need at a glance.

It’s been really handy. We use it at work all the time.

SonShine Learning Center

I’ve tweaked this site once again recently. It’s not an all out redesign but it’s been overhauled somewhat.

I’ve tweaked this site once again recently. It’s not an all out redesign but it’s been overhauled somewhat.

I added many quick tip child development articles and parent resources. The parent resources dynamically populate the list on the homepage as they are published.

 

MN Early Childhood Education Resource Site

I thought I’d put this site together to make finding the info easier for my coworkers and myself. We could just search for much of it online but not all of it is available online (outside of this site)…

During the day I work for an early childhood education center in Minnesota. It’s a pretty sweet gig. But there are lots of regulations, rules, and other things we constantly need to reference. So, I thought I’d put this site together to make finding the info easier for my coworkers and myself.

We could just search for much of it online but not all of it is available online (outside of this site) and a lot of the stuff that is available is pretty hard to find quickly if you haven’t needed to reference in a while.

It’s set up so that you enter the URL for the resource as a post title and then that URL populates parts of site I need it to dynamically. The home page shows a list of topics so it’s really easy to get what you need quick.

And there are tags that you can apply to resources that appear at the bottom of the homepage so it’s really easy to find things that way too.

For the tags, I used one of WordPress’s built in features: the tag cloud. This makes the tags that have been used more frequently bigger and those used less smaller. Pretty snazzy.

St. John’s UCC– Prescott

I created an ‘announcements’ category for this site. When staff update the site, they can put posts in the announcements category. If they do, an excerpt from that post displays on the homepage showing the beginning of the announcement.

This makes adding announcements to the site convenient, and it’s really easy for site visitor’s to find the announcements. The best part is that the most recent announcement automatically posts to the homepage, so it’s one less thing you need to worry about updating.

There’s also a page for the pastor’s sermons that works in a similar way. The sermon’s page shows a list of sermons with excerpts so that users can quickly skim the content to find the one they want.

These strategies can be applied to any type of category you’d like to create. Fun stuff!

Saks Insurance Company

This is a site I worked on with the development team from Stratosphere Marketing Solutions.

I used the designer’s PSD file to create the site using a template from the Genesis framework. I used css, php, html, and jQuery to bend the tamplate into a perfect replica of the designer’s mockup.

I got it started and passed it off to others to make sure it worked in all browsers. They also transfered it from the test domain to the domain where it lives today.